14 March 2010

I need your creative suggestions


Maceo is starting to take some consistent afternoon naps, which means that I am beginning to have a bit more time to dive back into crafting projects. Initially when he was taking smaller naps, I ended up spending lots of time trolling various DIY, before-and-after, and design blogs looking at all the groovy things people do to reuse and transform ordinary objects. So, on a recent trip to the basement, I came across this old CD cabinet that was begging for a makeover. Without any real planning or vision, I made an impulsive trip to the hardware store where I purchased some pretty intense fuchsia paint. Our house has just about every color under the sun represented, but fuchsia seemed to be the missing link.

So...now I have a fuchsia college-dorm style CD rack that needs to be turned into something amazing. Craig has noted that unless something somewhat dramatic happens, it will just look like a hot pink CD holder which is neither clever or cool.

I am relying upon all the creative readers out there to give me some ideas...you know you are (HINT: Lindy, Mira, Hana, Ila, mom). I have imagined building glass or fabric doors to turn it into a chachka cabinet; doing something clever to turn it into a craft "station" to organize all my rubber stamps and collage materials...What else can it become? I have plenty of other paint to play with, along with stencils, fabric, beads. Pretty much you name it. Please submit all ideas. XOX Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I like the idea of putting it to use as a craft area, but practically speaking that will be an utter nightmare once Maceo starts crawling; he'll see it as his own personal crafting station--not yours! Since it's so low to the ground and doesn't have doors on it, why not make it a cool book display shelf or toy holder for Maceo? If you installed a little wooden ledge on each shelf, you could display all his board books with the covers facing out; it would make for a very colorful library that he could access all by himself. You could also intersperse some small bins or boxes to keep his small toys in. I'm also a big fan of using paper or a different color of paint on the back of the shelves to add interest and texture. Does that help?
    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lindy's bookshelf idea. For style ideas, we've always enjoyed Sticks Furniture (www.sticks.com). They used to have a line of thrones that we always coveted... queen for a day!

    ReplyDelete