16 March 2010

A very, very bad 48 hours

I need to vent about the uncanny string of terrible luck I/we have experienced since Saturday morning. Forgive the list, but there are so many grievances a numbered list is necessary.

1) While washing Maceo, a small baby washcloth slipped down the drain, creating an awful clog. First estimate - $700. WTF? So we sent that plumber packing, while still having to pay the $90 "emergency" fee for him to come over and give us an outrageous estimate. Second estimate - $350. After no shower since Saturday, and in my collective despair about numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5, I gave in and went with the second seemingly outrageous invoice. Mr. Roto-Rooter is wrestling with the clog as I type.

2) As the shower was going kaput, so did the washing machine. I have not attempted to deal with that yet.

3) We have had 3 days of torrential rains here in New England which has created all sorts of homeowner chaos. Our particular brand of bad luck includes the flashing to a window in the hall way being weak/deteriorated, resulting in MASSIVE quantities of rain pouring in. Visualize a constant stream of water running over the wall for 2 days straight. Think cracked, wet plaster and buckling hard wood floors. Need I say more?

4) I went to the dentist on Monday to discover that I have two cavities, grind my teeth, and need oral surgery on two of my teeth/gums. In case you don't know, the oral surgery component (because of receding gums and exposed roots) requires cutting strips of flesh from the roof of your mouth and grafting them on to your gums. Lovely.

5) After leaving the dentist, I lost the SECOND of my two favorite hats last night, despite being incredibly careful. I bought it on Etsy and loved it like crazy. A post-baby treat to myself. Now it is gone, and given that it is March I can't really justify getting a new one. And given that the home repair costs are soaring, I doubt I can justify buying anything non-necessary for an indefinite period of time.

6) After leaving the dentist and losing my hat, I discovered that tea spilled all over my blackberry and fried the screen. In my anger, I then smacked it hard on the table. Ha - take that you crappy phone. THE SILVER LINING: when I woke up this morning, the phone had miraculously self-corrected and healed.

Dear Blackberry,
So sorry for the aggression last night. I never in a million years would have thought that you of all devices would have self-cured. I promise not to take out all my anger on your small shell. Thanks for the small break.
Love, Sarah

PS. Craig came home from work and I did a dramatic reading of this entry. He reminded me that I actually forgot another mishap. On Sunday morning - somewhere between problems 3 and 4, I was washing champagne flutes (from a sip of the bubbly with our neighbor on Saturday night in an attempt for me to cool my jets) and I broke all three in a hasty move of the draining rack. Thankfully they were a junk store purchase, but still. They shattered. For no good reason.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! What a bad weekend! I'm so sorry to hear that. I had that gum surgery years ago...I won't tell you how it was. Can we cheer you up with a walk or a cocktail soon!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian's dentist proposed the gum surgery once, he said "let's wait and see," and they've never mentioned it again... even congratulate him on his healthy gums. Made us wonder if the dentist was just looking to make a college tuition payment. So, I'd prioritize the drain and the rain over the pain! :)

    ReplyDelete