30 March 2010

The Refashioning of the CD Holder




Thanks to several readers suggestions - namely Lindy's and my mothers - I ended up turning the CD holder into a victorian ladies "medicine cabinet". Translation: a fancy name for a place to store the run-off toiletires that don't fit in the normal medicine cabinet. I even made-up the victorian part but given the ruffles, I thought it was a fair label. I think I will be using this same idea to create a mini bookshelf in Maceo's room, but this particular cabinet was not sturdy enough to be on the ground without falling over (and we didn't want to screw it into the wall in his room). The little spring-sash curtains were really easy to instal and would be a super easy and clever way to make a puppet show stage. I am pretty sure there are several of these college dorm room throwbacks in the basement, so this summer I will go rummaging around again and see if I can find a larger version more suitable for a stage.

I would like to give my husband public credit for not only accepting this girly creation into the bathroom (which is already the color of a ripe peach), but actually installing hardware so it could get mounted into the wall. As if that wasn't enough, he claims he likes it! Wow.

Side note: One thing I realized after Craig installed it was that the little curtains are just begging to be opened so you can peek inside. We don't have much scandalous in our bathroom, but unlike a hinged medicine cabinet that can ward some people off with the possible squeak when snooping, this little number is an advertisement for visitor peek-a-boo. I suppose the worse case scenario is that someone might be tempted to try some of the Origins lotion I bought as a post pregnancy splurge.

1 comment: